Tom Brady’s announcement that he is returning to the NFL for the 2022 season has caused a massive change in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ odds to win the next Super Bowl, according to TheLines.
Tracking odds in the US regulated sports betting market, TheLines state that the Bucs are one of the favorites to win Super Bowl 57 now Brady is back, as they are listed at +750 according to a consensus of the US’ largest legal online sportsbooks — including DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, BetRivers, Caesars, and PointsBet.
Tampa Bay’s odds have changed a lot depending on Brady’s NFL status. The team opened at +1000 in January, but when Brady announced his retirement on February 1, those odds dropped to +2500.
Brett Collison, the lead analyst for TheLines, commented: “Tom Brady is the greatest of all time and he’s still a top-shelf quarterback in his mid-40s.
“A month ago, we noted the potential of line movement because of the nature of the quarterback situations around the league. Bettors will continue to monitor these situations and further change will undoubtedly come before the season begins in September.”
Over the past month, there have been several news items about NFL quarterbacks that have affected next season’s Super Bowl odds for many teams.
The Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl odds went from +1400 to +800 after Aaron Rodgers announced he had signed a new contract with the team.
Following the trade of Russell Wilson from the Seattle Seahawks to the Denver Broncos, the Broncos’ Super Bowl odds went from +2250 to +1400. Meanwhile, the Seahawks’ odds drop from +3500 to +6000.
The addition of another high-level quarterback to the AFC West saw the odds of the Las Vegas Raiders adjust from +3500 to +5000.
After the Indianapolis Colts traded Carson Wentz to the Washington Commanders, the Colts’ Super Bowl odds fell from +2500 to +3000, while the Commanders’ odds dropped as well from +5500 to +6000.
A shift in odds is also expected to occur when the NFL Draft takes place next month, as well as after other potential trades and free agent signings.
The consensus odds to win Super Bowl 57 as of March 13 (opening odds from February 13 in brackets):
- Buffalo Bills (+725), +725
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2500), +750
- Kansas City Chiefs (+725), +800
- Green Bay Packers (+1400), +800
- Los Angeles Rams (+800), +1000
- San Francisco 49ers (+1100), +1300
- Denver Broncos (+2250), +1400
- Dallas Cowboys (+1450), +1500
- Cincinnati Bengals (+1400), +2000
- Baltimore Ravens (+2100), +2000
- Los Angeles Chargers (+2150), +2000
- Tennessee Titans (+2100), +2200
- Arizona Cardinals (+2250), +2500
- New England Patriots (+2500), +3000
- Indianapolis Colts (+2500), +3000
- Cleveland Browns (+3500), +3300
- Minnesota Vikings (+3150), +4000
- Philadelphia Eagles (+3500), +4000
- New Orleans Saints (+3750), +4000
- Miami Dolphins (+4500), +4500
- Pittsburgh Steelers (+5500), +5000
- Washington Commanders (+5500), +5000
- Carolina Panthers (+5500), +5000
- Las Vegas Raiders (+3500), +5500
- Seattle Seahawks (+3500), +6000
- Atlanta Falcons (+5500), +6500
- Chicago Bears (+7750), +8000
- NY Giants (+9000), +8000
- Jacksonville Jaguars (+10000), +10000
- Detroit Lions (+12500), +12500
- New York Jets (+15000), +15000
- Houston Texans (+20000), +150000