The odds on Kansas City Chiefs winning in NFL Week 8 and the Super Bowl have shifted significantly according to TheLines, which tracks odds in the US-regulated sports betting markets, following their blowout loss in Week 7 and their quarterback Patrick Mahomes picking up a knock.
Last week’s lookahead lines had the Chiefs as 13-point favorites over the New York Giants, according to a consensus of the nation’s largest legal online sportsbooks — including BetMGM, Caesars, DraftKings, FanDuel, PointsBet, SugarHouse, and Unibet. Now, Kansas City is only favored by 9.5 points following their 27-3 loss in Week 7 to the Tennessee Titans, in which Mahomes left early with an apparent head injury.
After passing concussion protocols, Mahomes will likely not be out long, if at all. However, oddsmakers have noticed the Chiefs’ 3-4 start and have adjusted accordingly. The reigning AFC champions opened the season as NFL favorites at +500 to win the Super Bowl. Entering Week 8, they now sit at +1300 to win the Super Bowl with seven teams ahead of them as betting favorites.
Brett Collson, lead analyst for TheLines.com, commented: “Surprise teams are expected in the NFL, but the Chiefs’ struggles have certainly been one of the league’s most unexpected results so far. If Mahomes and the Chiefs get hot, it won’t take long for those odds to shift again. But after losing four of six, the margin for error is narrowing rapidly.”
The consensus point spreads for Week 8 games, as of Monday, October 25:
- Green Bay Packers at Arizona Cardinals (-3.5); over/under 53
- Los Angeles Rams (-14.5) at Houston Texans; over/under 47
- Cincinnati Bengals (-9.5) at New York Jets; over/under 43.5
- Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills (-13.5); over/under 48
- Tennessee Titans at Indianapolis Colts (-1.5); over/under 49
- Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns (-3); over/under 42.5
- San Francisco 49ers (-4) at Chicago Bears; over/under 41.5
- Philadelphia Eagles (-3) at Detroit Lions; over/under 48
- Carolina Panthers at Atlanta Falcons (-2.5); over/under 46
- New England Patriots at Los Angeles Chargers (-5.5); over/under 47.5
- Jacksonville Jaguars at Seattle Seahawks (-3.5); over/under 43.5
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-4.5) at New Orleans Saints; over/under 50.5
- Washington Football Team at Denver Broncos (-3.5); over/under 43.5
- Dallas Cowboys (-2) at Minnesota Vikings; over/under 54.5
- New York Giants at Kansas City Chiefs (-9.5); over/under 52.5