The Gambling Workers Union (ALEARA) of Argentina has made a public request for legislators to open the online gambling market in the city of Buenos Aires. The move follows the approval of a new series of measures at the end of September, paving the way for a stable regulation in the capital city.

Ariel Fassione, ALEARA union Secretary, said that since there is no actual date for the reopening of the land-based casinos, and despite the fact that the Casino de Puerto Madero and the Palermo racetrack already have an approved protocol, they are currently “in a situation of uncertainty, which puts us on the verge of losing our salaries”.

He added: “As long as gambling rooms remain closed due to the pandemic, we need companies to get revenue so we can keep our salaries, as we’ve had no activity for the past seven months.”

Furthermore, Fassione explained that since April workers in the gambling sector have received 75% of their salaries, thanks to an agreement signed between the Government, the General Labor Confederation (CGT) and other authorities. The remaining 25% is paid by the companies.

In the last week of September, the Legislature of the city of Buenos Aires approved new modifications in the current online gaming law, allowing land-based casino operators to participate in the process and apply for an online license. They also approved a law that includes a “clean record” provision, excluding prosecuted people or in trial for serious crimes from the bidding.

“The legislature has already debated this, which was exactly what ALEARA asked at the time to increase transparency in the industry, and that’s why we urge the Lotería de la Ciudad (LOTBA — the gambling regulator) to implement [these measures] and open the market,” said Fassione.