Casinos across Illinois will be permitted to reopen from 1 July following new measures introduced by Governor J. B. Pritzker.
Gov. Pritzker revealed that regions across the state had reached the health benchmarks set out which would allow the state to move towards Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois plan, permitting more businesses to reopen.
Signing an executive order earlier this month, Pritzker temporarily relaxed restrictions on bettors having to register in-person to be able to bet online.
Players are now temporarily permitted to register online or via a mobile app, with this due to continue for as long as the state’s Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamations remain in effect, the order said.
Casinos will be permitted to operate at 50% capacity, while poker rooms will remain closed until measures are relaxed further. Video gaming terminals will also return from the 1 July, after both were halted since March 16 due to the global pandemic.
“The Gaming Board worked with the Governor’s Office, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), and the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) to develop a gaming resumption process that protects the public health of patrons and employees, while restarting gaming activities in meaningful way,” Illinois Gaming Board administrator Marcus Fruchter said.
“The video and casino gaming industry have worked cooperatively and professionally with the IGB to develop best practices that create the safest possible environment for gaming, while adhering to IDPH, DCEO, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance.
“We appreciate their cooperation and work toward the mutual goal of a resumption that protects the safety and integrity of Illinois gaming.”